This has gone from my spot to share all my questions, fears and experiences to a necessary outlet for the good, bad and the ugly that goes along with having two boys. I wouldn't change it for the world!






Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Pregnancy Symptoms

So now that it's ultimately confirmed and I fully understand that I am pregnant let's start with the symptoms that go along with pregnancy. I had heard you get some cramping, like a period. Your breasts will become sore and you may experience fatigue. You could also develop some cravings and have the occassional emotional reaction to a less than dramatic situation. You could also experience morning sickness that could range from queasy to toilet hugging. You may develop gas (above or below) due to your intestinal track slowing.


REALLY???!!! Let me debunk these myths individually:


1. MYTH: Cramping like a period.
    FACT:  Something is inside/outside my uterus pulling and pushing to make room, like a dog stretching it's legs.


2. MYTH: Your breasts will become sore.
    FACT:  I believe someone used my breasts as a punching bag continuously for 2 days while I was sleeping and now I am stuck with the ramifications.


3. MYTH: You may experience some fatigue.
    FACT: While I haven't experienced falling asleep in between appointments, which happened frequently to a woman whose story I read in a book recently,  I do require a minimum 8 hrs. + nap or 10 straight hours of sleep.


4. MYTH: You could also develop cravings.
    FACT: If it is chocolate, looks like chocolate, smells like chocolate, is shaped like chocolate, has a dash of chocolate shavings in it......GIVE IT TO ME and no one will get hurt. ;0) Thank you.


5. MYTH: You may have an occassional emotional reaction to a less than dramatic situation.
    FACT:  (Sniffle, sniffle) "No, thank you. Just throw it away. It's ruined. There's just not enough foam on my latte. No really. I don't want it." (dramatization)


6. MYTH: You could also experience morning sickness.
    FACT: It doesn't have to happen in the morning! It can come on when you're at work during the day, walking the dog in the afternoon, when you're going to bed at night. I refuse to call it m-o-r-n-i-n-g sickness. Be prepared. Have bland snacks (crackers, dry cereal, carrot sticks) on hand all the time that can help neutralize the nausea. If your "morning" sickness comes with food revisited, be sure to carry an emergency kit with disposable bags, wipes, toothbrush, mints, mouthwash.


7. MYTH: You may develop gas.
    FACT:  Let's just say, if you do, try to be a lady about it.


Now that you know my take on these pregnancy symptoms, I will tell you that while these feelings are new and when they're happening to you, possibly annoying; they're really not that bad. You just have to take the ebb and flow of each day and know that you are a vessel for that beautiful baby and try to minimize your stress with these symptoms and try not to complain frequently because:
1. no one likes a constant complainer
2. this is an amazing experience that only us women are "lucky" enough to go through.
Remember that there are many women that would give their left arm to get pregnant.  Also, when you think about complaining about your now "huge rack" or needing another cookie, remember no one did this to you. It takes two. So sit back, relax, have another scoop of Monkey Tracks ice cream and enjoy the ride.

1 comment:

Bree Wilder said...

GIRL the gas. If I wasn't burping I was. . . well you can guess. I had all those same symptoms.