This has gone from my spot to share all my questions, fears and experiences to a necessary outlet for the good, bad and the ugly that goes along with having two boys. I wouldn't change it for the world!






Friday, March 5, 2010

Foods to Avoid When Pregnant

So every morning now I wake up hungry. 8-10 hours without eating is too long for me now. When I wake up I start thinking about what sounds good. Some days everything sounds good, some days nothing, other days a craving will strike and I am forced to comply. For example: last Saturday I was lying in bed watching the news, when a salsa commercial came on and suddenly I could smell one of Hubbie's famous breakfast burritos! I had to have one. I jumped out of bed and ran to the store for the missing ingredients, turkey bacon and onions and rushed back to start chopping and mixing up all the goodies (potatoes, onions, garlic, tomatoes, turkey bacon, eggs, hot sauce, salsa). Mmmmmm.....now I know how it feels to have an addiction. When I get a craving, I can think of nothing else until it's satisfied.

Anyhow, since being pregnant I have found that there are many items that I CAN'T have. While most doctors won't see you until 9-12 weeks for your first appointment they should at least send out a list of foods to try to avoid. I have heard about most from friends and other moms. I thought I would throw together a list of items I've been told to avoid, not just to share but to remind me too.

Disclaimer: These are items told to limit or avoid. I understand that some don't agree with all of these. This is just my personal compilation of items I've been told.

FOODS TO AVOID OR LIMIT:

1. sunny side eggs (no runny yolk)
2. sushi /raw fish (WWAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!)
3. caffeine
4. alcohol (sometimes I smell red wine, even though it's not open ;0( )
5. artificial sweetners
6. lunch meat (unless heated....ewwww)
7. anything made with raw eggs (ex: traditional Caesar salad dressing)
8. smoked seafood
9. fish with mercury (swordfish, shark, etc.)
10. soft cheeses (brie, beta, Camembert, queso fresco, etc.)
11. raw shellfish (oysters, clams, etc.)
12. Herbal supplements & teas
13. Unpasteurized juice (no farmer's market cider)

Did I miss any?? Do these all apply when you're breastfeeding too??

Don't worry Samurai Sushi or Sushi Boat, Davis! I'll be back!

No comments: